'The imperial road to Italy goes from Munich across the Tyrol, through Innsbruck and Bozen to Verona, over the mountains. Here the great processions passed as the emperors went South, or came home again from rosy Italy to their own Germany.
And how much has that old imperial vanity clung to the German soul? Did not the German kings inherit the empire of bygone Rome? It was not a very real empire, perhaps, but the sound was high and splendid.
Maybe a certain Groessenwahn is inherent in the German nature. If only nations would realize that they have certain natural characteristics, if only they could understand and agree to each other's particular nature, how much simpler it would all be.'
- Twilight in Italy(p.navPoint-1)
- Part 1 The Crucifix Across the Mountains(p.navPoint-3)
- The imperial road(p.navPoint-4)
- Part 2 On the Lago di Garda(p.navPoint-5)
- Chapter 1 The Spinner and the Monks(p.navPoint-6)
- Chapter 2 The Lemon Gardens(p.navPoint-7)
- Chapter 3 The Theatre(p.navPoint-8)
- Chapter 4 San Gaudenzio(p.navPoint-9)
- Chapter 5 The Dance(p.navPoint-10)
- Chapter 6 Il Duro(p.navPoint-11)
- Chapter 7 John(p.navPoint-12)
- When I was in Constance(p.navPoint-14)
- Part 3 Italians in Exile(p.navPoint-13)
- Part 4 The Return Journey(p.navPoint-15)
- When one walks(p.navPoint-16)